2014 might be over but the longings of it will last forever. It’s said that a picture is worth a thousand words. Rightly so! Sometimes pictures convey such powerful messages that seem impossible to be narrated in words. Also, a photo tells a million stories in a million different ways and stories so powerful to leave us awestruck.
The year 2014 had its own highs and the lows and every single of it was captured and is now preserved in the form of photos. Here, we have grouped together the most powerful photos of the year 2014, with each one telling a different tale.
1. A plane flying over an erupting Bardarbunga volcano in southeast Iceland – September 14, 2014.
(AFP PHOTO / BERNARD MERIC)
2. A passenger train derailed by massive landslide near Tiefencastel, Switzerland – August 13, 2014.
(AFP PHOTO / MICHAEL BUHOLZER)
3. A view of supermoon from the Canary Islands, Spain – August 10, 2014.
4. Window washers stranded on broken platform outside the 69th floor of New York’s World Trade Center – November 12, 2014.
5. An X-ray film shows a bullet lying inside the skull of an 18 month old boy Satrin Osinya, being treated at the Kenyatta National hospital Nairobi – March 26, 2014.
(AFP PHOTO/SIMON MAINA)
6. Protesters go head-to-head with police in central Kiev – January 22, 2014.
(EVGENY FELDMAN/AP PHOTO)
7. Lightning flashing on the top of Corcovado Hill in Rio de Janeiro – January 14, 2014.
(AFP PHOTO/YASUYOSHI CHIBA)
8. A frozen Niagara Falls during the winter deep freeze – March 3, 2014.
9. Fireworks explode near anti-government protesters during clashes with riot police at the Independence Square in Kiev – February 18, 2014.
(Vasily Fedosenko / Reuters)
10. Pope Francis praying in front of the Western Wall, in Jerusalem’s Old City – May 26, 2014.
(AP PHOTO/ODED BALILTY, FILE)
11. A man holding a woman hostage with a cleaver as a policeman negotiates – April 8, 2014.
12. Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai, the joint winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, speaks at Birmingham library, England – October 10, 2014.
13. The shadow of a Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) P3 Orion maritime search aircraft is seen on low-level clouds as it flies over the southern Indian Ocean looking for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 – March 31, 2014.
14. A view of a sinkhole stretching 20 by 30 meters, at the Solikamsk-2 mine in Russia’s Perm region.
15. Search team looking for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, in the Indian Ocean, near Sumatra Island, Indonesia – March 15, 2014.
16. Employees manufacture toys at a workshop in Lianyungang, China – October 30, 2014.
(CHINAFOTOPRESS/ GETTY IMAGES)
17. Lava flows from the Kilauea Volcano towards the town of Pahoa, Hawaii – June 27, 2014.
(Andrew Hara/Getty Images)
18. Artist Pyotr Pavlensky cut off a part of his earlobe during his protest ‘Segregation’ at the Serbsky State Scientific Center for Social and Forensic Psychiatry, Moscow – October 19, 2014.
19. Wreckage of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 burns in a field in Grabovo, Ukraine – July 17, 2014.
(PIERRE CROM/GETTY IMAGES)
20. A photo showing different phases of lunar eclipse as observed from Magdalena, New Mexico – April 15, 2014.
(AFP PHOTO/Stan HONDA)
21. A Coast Guard helicopter flies over the frozen Hudson River, during a cold spell caused by a polar vortex – January 9, 2014.
(ANDREW BURTON/GETTY IMAGES)
22. A health worker sprays a man with disinfectants as he is suspected of dying due to Ebola virus in Monrovia, Liberia – September 4, 2014.
(AP Photo/Abbas Dulleh)
23. A Palestinian boy throws a stone towards Israeli soldiers as he jumps over burning tyres – March 17, 2014.
24. A white tiger attacked and killed a schoolboy who accidently fell into its enclosure at a zoo in Delhi – September 23, 2014.
(AFP PHOTO/DELHI POLICE)
25. A Pakistani man wounded in a suicide bomb attack near Wagah border, Lahore that left at least 45 people dead – November 2, 2014.
26. An anaconda clutching a crocodile at Queensland’s Lake Moondarra, Australia – March 3, 2014.
(AFP PHOTO / Travis Corlis)
27. A dead lawn is seen next to an artificial lawn during the fierce drought in San Francisco, California – July 15, 2014.
(JUSTIN SULLIVAN/GETTY IMAGES)
28. Armed protesters advance towards police barricades in Kiev – February 20, 2014.
(AFP PHOTO / LOUISA GOULIAMAKI)
29. Two men pass by a crack in a highway between the areas of Iquique and Alto Hospicio, Chile – April 3, 2014.
30. Visitors look to avoid a high wave hitting the bank of Qiantang River in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, China – August 13, 2014.
(EPA/XU KANGPING CHINA OUT)
31. The world’s tallest living man, Sultan Kosen and world’s shortest man Chandra Bahadur Dangi greet each other at the Guinness World Records Day in London – November 13, 2014.
(Luke MacGregor / Reuters)
32. A firefighter attempts to extinguish a fire that broke out on piles of canes at a paper factory in Changde, Hunan province, China – February 16, 2014.
(China Stringer Network / Reuters)
33. An Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) is visible over a mountain camp north of the Arctic Circle, near the village of Mestervik – September 30, 2014.
34. The art installation Pulse & Bloom is demonstrated during the Burning Man 2014 in Black Rock Desert of Nevada, – August 29, 2014.
35. An F-15C captured against thick clouds formed by the Oregon Gulch wildfire.
(ORANG/JIM “HAZY” HASELTINE/HIGH-G PRODUCTIONS)
36. Agustin Gomez Perez; a 21 year old farmer sets himself on fire to stage a protest outside the Chiapas state legislature in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mexico – December 5, 2014.
(AP PHOTO/CUARTOSCURO, JACOB GARCIA)
37. Susan Dunklee of USA contests during the Women’s 4 x 6 km Relay in the Sochi Winter Olympics – February 21, 2014.
(ADAM PRETTY/GETTY IMAGES)
38. Ukrainian riot police during protests in downtown Kiev, Ukraine – February 19, 2014.
39. A Kurdish fighter launches mortar shells towards Islamic State (IS) controlled Zummar, near Mosul – September 15, 2014.
40. A protestor jumps on a shield wall formed by riot police during a protest against Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro’s government in Caracas – February 12, 2014.
(Carlos Garcia Rawlins / Reuters)
41. A young girl places a rose at the Berlin Wall memorial in Bernauer Strasse, at the 25th anniversary of fall of Berlin Wall – November 9, 2014.
(Fabrizio Bensch / Reuters)
42. A young Palestinian girl, who was injured during an Israeli strike at a UN school, is being treated at a hospital in Beit Lahiya, Gaza Strip – July 24, 2014.
43. Dave Seymour and son Duke ride the wall of death, a family-run “Demon Drome” stunt attraction in Cornwall, Britain – September 13, 2014.
44. Health officers in full protective gear wait to cross a road near a wholesale poultry market in Hong Kong – January 28, 2014.
45. A Palestinian watches the rubble of destroyed buildings during a ceasefire in Gaza City, Gaza – August 31, 2014.
(ASHRAF AMRA/ANADOLU AGENCY/ GETTY IMAGES)
46. An aerial view of the lava fountains near Bardarbunga Volcano in Iceland – September 3, 2014.
47. WWII veteran Fred Holborn, from the Fleet Air Arm, salutes as he looks at British Legion Union flags carrying thank you messages planted in the sand on Gold Beach near Asnelles, France – June 5, 2014.
(Peter Macdiarmid / Getty Images)
48. Members of Parliament of the Svoboda party fight with those of Communist party in Ukrainian parliament – April 8, 2014.
(AFP PHOTO/ YURIY KIRNICHNY)
49. Students play in their school yard as Mount Sinabung erupts in Sukandebi, North Sumatra, Indonesia – January 16, 2014.
(AP PHOTO/BINSAR BAKKARA)
50. A Turkish personnel arrests a Kurdish demonstrator during a protest near the Turkey-Syria border – September 23, 2014.
(EPA/ULAS YUNUS TOSUN)
51. A dead body lies in the street near the Mariupol police station in Ukraine – May 9, 2014.
52. Astronaut Reid Wiseman works outside the space station’s Quest airlock for the Expedition 41 crew aboard the International Space Station – October 8, 2014.
(NASA / Reuters)
53. A Palestinian man plays with his baby on the beach of Gaza city – September 7, 2014.
(AFP PHOTO/MAHMUD HAMS)
54. Afghan women sit in the rafters as they watch a women taekwondo match in Herat – November 13, 2014.
(Aref Karimi /AFP / Getty Images)
55. The Orbital Sciences Corporation Antares rocket, with the Cygnus spacecraft on board explodes moments after launch from the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport Pad 0A at NASA Wallops Flight Facility, Virginia – October 28, 2014.
(NASA / Getty Images)
56. Children play around a man disguised as Batman at the Favela do Metro slum, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – January 9, 2014.
(AFP PHOTO / YASUYOSHI CHIBA)
57. Dutch artist Bart Jansen turns his dead cat into remote controlled helicopter, London, UK – June, 2014.
58. A spectacular super moon shines through the Four Towers Madrid skyscrapers – August 11, 2014.
(Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno / Getty Images)
59. Search and rescue teams remove a body from the rubble after the Syrian regime shelled an opposition-controlled area of Aleppo – August 14, 2014.
(AHMED MUHAMMED ALI/ANADOLU AGENCY/GETTY IMAGES)
60. Troops hold colored cards during a military parade celebrating Independence Day in downtown Mexico City – September 16, 2014.
(Edgard Garrido / Reuters)
61. ISIS militants attack a People’s Protection Unit (YPG) located in the border city of Kobani, Syria.
(GOKHAN SAHIN/GETTY IMAGES)
62. Palestinian children hold guns as they celebrate after a ceasefire in Gaza City – August 26, 2014.
63. Ships take part in a rescue operation around the Seoul passenger ship, which sank in the sea off Jindo – April 17, 2014.
64. Smoke rises after Israeli air strikes in Gaza City – July 29, 2014.
65. Protesters open their umbrellas for 87 seconds marking the 87 rounds of tear gas that Hong Kong police fired at unarmed student protesters in the same location one month before – October 28, 2014.
66. Firefighters battling the King Fire watch as a backfire burns along Highway 50 in Fresh Pond, California – September 16, 2014.
(Noah Berger / Reuters)
67. A man stands in front of a large vessel ashore by Typhoon Haiyan in Philippines – April 18, 2014.
(CHRIS MCGRATH/GETTY IMAGES)
68. White smoke rising from Mount Ontake volcano, Japan – September 27, 2014.
(AFP / Getty Images)
69. Nearly 2,000 torch-bearers receive the sacred fire at the Otou Fire Festival on Kamikura Mt. in Shingu town, Wakayama province, Japan – February 6, 2014.
(EPA/EVERETT KENNEDY BROWN)
70. A 100 year old woman named Ruby Holt from Columbia, Tennessee, visited the beach for the first time in her life – November 19, 2014.
(Dennis Pillon / AL.COM / Landov)
71. British World War II veteran Frederick Glover poses for a photograph during a Normandy landings commemoration in Ranville, France – June 5, 2014.
(AP PHOTO/THOMAS BREGARDIS, POOL)
72. Image of the surface of Comet 67P/Churyumov€“Gerasimenko captured by Rosettaâ€™s lander Philae’s CIVA-P imaging system – November 13, 2014.
73. A 14-year-old male orangutan being treated at Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Programme center – April 16, 2014.
(SUTANTA ADITYA/AFP/GETTY IMAGES)
74. A malnourished South Sudanese child cries as he is being bathed by a nurse at a feeding centre in Kodok, Fashoda County – May 28, 2014.
75. Kiev Square before and after the protests which led to the stepping down of President Viktor Yanukovych – February 19, 2014.
76. Ultra-Orthodox Jews dance as they gather for a mass prayer in protest to the government’s army recruitment laws in Jerusalem – March 2, 2014.
77. Actor Shia Labeouf arrives for the screening of “Nymphomaniac Volume I”wearing a paper bag that reads “I am not famous anymore” at the 64th Annual Berlin Film Festival, Germany – February 9, 2014.
78. A protestor in Ferguson throws back a tear gas container – August 13, 2014.
(ROBERT COHEN/MCT/ZUMA WIRE)
79. Flowers were placed on Robin Williams’ Hollywood Walk of Fame star in Los Angeles, California – August 12, 2014.
(Valerie Macon / Getty Images)
80. Loyal forces of President Bashar al-Assad play football in the al-Hamdeya neighbourhood of Homs city – May 9, 2014.
81. A Balinese man throws a burned coconut husk during the “Mesabatan Api” ritual ahead of Nyepi Day Gianyar, Bali, Indonesia – March 30, 2014.
(Agung Parameswara / Getty Images)
82. People with portraits of their ancestors celebrate Victory Day in St. Petersburg, Russia – May 9, 2014.
(AP PHOTO/DMITRY LOVETSKY)
83. Competitors take part in the Tough Mudder London South in Winchester, England – October 25, 2014.
(Justin Setterfield / Getty Images)
84. Members of the Castellers Joves Xiquets de Valls try to form a human tower in Tarragona, Spain – October 5, 2014.
(AP PHOTO/EMILIO MORENATTI, FILE)
85. Rescue workers climb to an ash-covered shrine near the summit of Mt. Ontake, Japan, which erupted and killed 56 people.
86. Indonesian Muslims offer Eid Al-Adha prayer at Al-Akbar Mosque in Surabaya, Indonesia – October 5, 2014.
(ROBERTUS PUDYANTO/GETTY IMAGES)
87. Queen Elizabeth walks through a field of ceramic poppies; a piece of art named “Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red” in London – October 16, 2014.
(Luke MacGregor / Reuters)
88. German players after winning the 2014 World Cup final against Argentina at the Maracana stadium, Rio de Janeiro – July 13, 2014.
(Photo by Darren Staples/Reuters)
89. Men rescue a boy after forces loyal to Syria’s President Bashar Al-Assad bombed Aleppo – April 6, 2014.
(Hosam Katan / Reuters)
90. Members of the Samaritan community march on the top of Mount Gerizim, above the West Bank city of Nablus, at sunrise – April 20 2014.
91. Rafael Nadal of Spain cries after winning French Open Tennis Tournament defeating Novak Djokovic of Serbia during their men’s singles final match – June 8, 2014.
92. A convoy of hearses in the Netherlands carries the unidentified bodies of some of the 298 people who died in flight MH17 catastrophe.
93. The wreckage of the luxury cruise ship Costa Concordia afloat again before it was towed to the Italian port of Genoa – July 21, 2014.
(AP PHOTO/GREGORIO BORGIA, FILE)
94. An orphaned baby elephant relaxes in a mud pool at the David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage in Nairobi National Park – October 15, 2014.
(Goran Tomasevic / Reuters)
95. A golfer in Spain hits a tee shot as African migrants sit atop a border fence during an attempt to cross into Spanish territories between Morocco and Spain’s north African enclave of Melilla – October 22, 2014.
96. A man is doused with milk and sprayed with mist after being hit by an eye irritant from security forces trying to disperse protestors in Ferguson – August 20, 2014.
(Adrees Latif / Reuters)
97. Olympic and Paralympic track star Oscar Pistorius reacts as he listens to Judge Thokozile Masipa’s verdict at the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria – September 11, 2014.
(Pool New / Reuters)
98. A teddy bear is found next to the wreckage at the site of the downed Malaysia Airlines 17 in eastern Ukraine – September 9.
(Marko Djurica / Reuters)
99. Dancers perform during the opening ceremony of Sochi Winter Olympics 2014 – February 7, 2014.
(PASCAL LE SEGRETAIN/GETTY IMAGES)
100. A section of Lake Oroville shows the millennium’s worst drought in Oroville, California.
(Justin Sullivan / Getty Images).